JQ Products "THE Car" 1/8 Competition Buggy Kit
This is it! “THE Car” from JQ Products! Probably the most highly anticipated and exciting competition model launch of the new millennium, THE car has been conceived, designed and developed by Finland’s internationally renowned racer/designer Joseph Quagraine. It’s been three and a half years in the making, chalking up international race winning successes along the way, but the waiting is almost over! GB Modelsport is proud and excited to have been chosen as the exclusive UK/ROI Distributor for JQ Products, and we are accepting pre-orders for THE car from interested retail stockists now! Further information will be released on this web site shortly, but the development of THE car has been well documented and you can read all about it on the JQ Products web site.
In the meantime, here is an overview of the key design features that set THE car apart from its competitors.
At first glance, suspension geometry seems simple, and most cars appear to be the same in this department, but there are subtle differences, such as; lengths and positions of the upper and lower arms; shock positions and length; arm holder widths and hub geometry. It is definitely not simple. THE Car shares design features from a variety of cars, but these are the main differences, and why the features are different.
- Lower Arms: The lower arms are interchangeable left to right, and are the shortest on the market. The reason for this is shorter arms make a car more responsive, and helps to maintain stability when it comes to things other than driver input. For example, short arms make the car track straight in bumps, and make it less sensitive to changes and surprising situations on the track. Long arms on a car provide more traction, suspension movement, and a slow reacting, stable nature. But JQ Products believes to get around a track as fast as the laws of physics allow, short arms are necessary.
- Arm Holders: Extensive testing was done to determine optimum Suspension Arm Holder width and arm length. Many different combinations were tested, and we settled on a set up which is in fact the opposite from most other cars. The design of THE Car utilizes a wide front arm holder, and shorter arms than most cars. These design features give THE Car an increased level of stability, with excellent rough track handling and jumping characteristics, as well as the option to be driven with an aggressive driving style. THE Car tracks straight and will hold its line in rhythm sections and whoops with a greater level of stability and a very linear feel.
- C-Hubs: The C-Hub design is similar to what is used on the Losi XX-4. This design brings the point where the arm attaches to the hub inwards and also vertically closer to the wheel centre, which makes the car more stable and less prone to flipping over. This also helps in rough track sections and when jumping, because as the suspension compresses, the wheels move more inwards and the suspension gets progressively stiffer.
Rear End Geometry:
- Rear Arms: The Rear Arms are super short compared to all other cars, and they are the same length as the front arms. The arm holders on the rear are medium width, and not as wide as the front. These short arms give THE Car more steering and help to make it fast.
- Rear Hubs: The rear hubs are different from anything else available and allow the rear of the car to have the same offset as the front. To achieve this offset, the attachment is on the inside of the wheel centre, not the outside. This allows the car to be set up with aggressive steering, yet still have plenty of forward bite. This unique geometry requires a different set up, and the use of different shock positions compared to conventional cars. But this design concept provides you with a car that has superior corner speed, forward bite, and acceleration out of corners.
- Rear Roll Centre Adjustment: Another unique feature about the rear end geometry is the use of multiple vertical holes on the rear arms for adjusting the hubs, as well as multiple positions on the hubs. The reason for this is so that the suspension, travel and ride height will be unchanged regardless of which hole is used. There are three outer hub positions on the arms, but only the upper and middle position are used. The lower position exists because the arms are designed to be used on either side of the car, and the lower position on one side, becomes the upper position when the arm is flipped and used on the other side. The top hole provides more traction and forces the suspension to stiffen up more when compressed, the lower hole reduces traction, and the rear end will slide more. As for bumps, that comes down to preference, some will prefer the upper hole, some the lower. This design makes the rear end adjustable enough that anyone can find their preferred set up, no matter what their driving style is.
THE Car Features:
- Narrow Layout: THE Car features one of the narrowest chassis ever seen on a 1/8 buggy. A narrow car is more nimble and fast compared to a wider one.
- Central Engine Placement: The key to building a narrow car.
- Revolutionary Adjustable Weight Distribution: Engine and centre Differential move 8mm forwards or back. The most useful tuning aid that can be changed based on track and driving style. Directly affects lap times in a big way.
- Laydown Brake System: In order to make the weight distribution change easily, and make removal of the centre differential easy, the lay down brake design was the way to go.
- Simple Throttle/Brake Linkage: The simplest design on the market, because simple is always better.
- Left/Right Weight Balance: Optimized left to right balance, because we turn both ways on our tracks.
- Lightweight: Out of the box, THE Car weighs about 3240g. Because no matter what anyone says, a lighter car is faster, wears less, consumes less fuel and is easier on tyres. Lightweight is the future of our hobby. If a heavy car is faster than a light one, the light one has the wrong setup or the wrong tyres!
- Servo Saver: THE Car features a "fail safe" servo saver that does not require thread lock. It will not work loose.
- Radio Tray: The first un-complicated radio tray. The design allows for fast and easy servo changes, while leaving the tray in the car. Everything on the tray can be changed with the tray installed, and linkage intact.
- Rear End Geometry: Distinctive rear end geometry design allows for great on power traction, acceleration and corner speed.
- Rear Roll Centre: New style roll-centre adjustments on the rear.
- EU/US Compatibility: Designed for European and American tracks and drivers. Designed to perform well on Euro style tracks and driving styles, where maximum corner speed is required, as well as US style tracks with big jumps and rough surfaces.
- Pre-Assembled Turnbuckles: THE Car features pre-assembled turnbuckles, because we all HATE building them!
- Shocks: 14.5mm threaded, hard-anodized shocks with 3.5mm shock shafts. Because bigger isn’t better…better is better! A variety of shock sizes were tested, and these were found to be the best for THE Car.
- Shock Towers: THE Car is equipped with 5mm CNC aluminium Shock Towers as standard equipment and features the JQ Products trademark branding.
- Arm Holders/Suspension Blocks: Hard Anodized CNC aluminium Arm Holders are included as standard equipment. They use inserts to tune the toe-in, anti-squat and kick-up. Since this is a Pro Kit, we didn’t think you should have to buy option parts!
- Steering: Optimized steering geometry allows for maximum, yet linear steering, as well as reduced bump-steer. Steering = Corner speed = Fast Lap times = Wins. It’s all about steering.
- Chassis Braces: THE Car uses moulded composite front and rear chassis braces. CNC braces may be available as option parts, for the people who like bling, “just because”.
- Clutch: THE Car includes a 3-shoe clutch system, with aluminium clutch shoes.
- Chassis: THE Car includes a lightened aluminium 4mm hard-anodized chassis with ballast locations as standard equipment. Because THE Car is underweight when lightweight options are installed.
- Steering Knuckles: CNC aluminium Steering Knuckles are included as standard equipment. Plastic or cast pot metal knuckles are for RTR's, even if they don’t break. JQ Products does have a certain bling requirement.
- Fuel Tank: THE Car uses a clunk style fuel tank because we all crash, and it feeds fuel to the engine while upside down.
- Vehicle: 1:8 Nitro 4WD
- Width: 307mm
- Wheelbase: 324-328mm
- Weight: 3240g*
- Internal Gear Ratio: 3.90:1
*Weight measured with OS Speed, 2060 pipe, ProLine Rims, closed cell foam, Holeshot tires, LRP 1600 LiFe Receiver Pack, Savöx Servos, Sanwa M11X Receiver
CSI-21-A CSI KYOSHO A
JQB377 THE Car Pro Kit
JQB477 THE Car Pro Kit
JQB577 THE Car Pro Kit (Yellow Edition)
JQR0001 THE RTR Car Kit